Monday, October 27, 2008

Product Review: Dishers

I admit, I am a closet kitchen gadget lover. It's a trait I inherited from my mom, who loves to have all the new and cutest kitchen gear available. However, I've been blessed (and yes I say blessed) with small kitchens and limited drawer/counter space since I've had my own space to clutter up.

So I've had to curb my desires for fun stuff and go for functional instead. "Everything must serve many purposes" is my mantra, adopted from Alton Brown of Food Network's Good Eats.



Looking at dishers, those shiny kitchen devices that resemble ice cream scoopers, they appear to take up a lot of drawer space for perhaps only one purpose. However, I have to say that once I gave in and tried it, I would highly recommend getting one small to medium size disher for your own kitchen.

They're great for scooping cookies of equal sizes, forming meatballs, even measuring pancake or muffin batter. I have a smallish one that is perfect for mini-muffins, and if I need to make bigger muffins, I just use two scoops instead of one.

Yes, it takes up room in the drawer, but it's handy for so many things. If you have a disher, what size is it, and how do you like to use yours?

3 comments:

  1. Well, you're talking to the gadget queen here. I have 3 scoops and love them all. I have a little cookie-sized one, a medium cookie-sized one, and a regulation ice-cream scoop size. I use them for cookies, cupcakes, muffins, ice cream, and also to make decorative scoops of butter or margarine, rice or mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the idea of using it for decorative scoops of rice or mashed potatoes. You could use it for stuffing too, I bet. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two ice cram scoops--one that has the fancy release down the center so the scoops pop out. I use them for all sorts of things--muffins, cookies, potatoes and anything I might need a scoop of!

    ReplyDelete