Thursday, October 09, 2008

Baked Tortilla Strips (or chips)



Store-bought tortilla chips are absurdly expensive for what they are (i.e. flour, water, salt). So I like to make my own whenever the opportunity arises. That is, whenever I have tortillas that are about to go stale.

I bake them so there's no frying (or extra fat) involved. It produces a denser (and I think tastier) chip that stands up to dips really well. Not to mention you can buy fresh tortillas for pennies each, making these chips much more affordable.

Baked Tortilla Strips

Cut corn or flour tortillas into strips or triangles (or whatever shape suits your fancy) onto a dry baking sheet. A pizza pan with holes in it works excellently.



Spray with cooking spray. You could sprinkle a little salt on them if you wish at this point. Toss gently to coat, then spread them out evenly.

Bake at 325 degrees until crisp and light brown. I usually put the pan in as I'm preheating, then 15 minutes after turning the oven on, I turn it off. Leave them in til the oven cools or until you get a chance to remove them later. (Or the next time you open your oven to bake cookies. *oops*)

These strips are fabulous for Tortilla Soup, the recipe for which will be posted next!

No comments:

Post a Comment