Friday, October 31, 2008

Aunt Karen's Fruit Salad



Many years ago, my aunt Karen visited and shared with us her famous fruit salad recipe. I loved it so much that I asked her to write it down for me. My mom laminated it, and I have had it in my arsenal ever since. This recipe makes a LOT of fruit salad, so it's great for potlucks or big groups and families.

Aunt Karen's Fruit Salad

1 pkg. vanilla pudding (cook & serve kind)
1 pkg. tapioca pudding (cook $ serve kind)
1 lg. can peaches
1 lg. can mandarin oranges
1 lg. can pineapple tidbits
3 barely under-ripe bananas

Drain juice from the cans into a bowl or large measuring cup. Add enough water to make 3 cups. Whisk in both pudding mixes and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir, then microwave for another 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

Cut up any canned fruit halves or slices into bite-sized pieces. Mix the cooled pudding with the canned fruit. Add sliced bananas and toss gently. Serve chilled.

You could add maraschino cherries, and the temptation is great let me tell you, but it will turn the pudding a strange reddish pink color that resembles the gel in "salmon egg" fish bait, so I don't recommend it. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment