Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Fooblog is back! (with Hot Dogs)

I have been doing Project 365 which is a challenge to take one picture a day for one year, and I've been chronicling my efforts on my Project 365 blog. I've noticed that I take a hefty number of images that feature food in some way or another.



So since I've got my camera out already, I'm going to go ahead and bring this blog back after it's lain dormant for nearly four years. After all, I love cooking (and eating), so I might as well share that with the world. Again.

One of my passions is experimenting with food. I'm not a picky eater, and ever since I had the peanut butter and mayo sandwich my friend Ed recommended, I rarely knock a strange concoction until I've tried it. I would ask you to do the same with some of the strange things I might post. ;o)

That said, I do believe I'll start us off with something truly interesting. Follows is a step-by-step recipe for a grilled cheese that just about any kid is going to love. My daughter is one of the pickiest eaters I know, and she ate the entire sandwich with zero reminders to focus on her plate.
----------------------------------------------------------

Dogged Grilled Cheese

Split one hot dog per sandwich into thirds vertically. Grill the slices on both sides.



Butter one side of each slice of bread, two per sandwich of course.



Add some slices of cheese to the unbuttered side of half the bread slices. Velveeta works excellently.




Place the grilled hot dog slices on the cheese.



Top the sandwiches with their other halves and grill as you normally would for grilled cheese. Careful when you flip!



Serve just slightly cooled down because that cheese can get hot and cooling helps the goo congeal. Doesn't it sound delicious already? Congealed goo...mmm...



We served ours with vegetable alphabet soup, and both my kids ate every last bit. I was truly amazed.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mangy--my stomach revolts at the idea of hotdogs and grilled cheese--and peanut butter and mayo--honestly!

    But just so you know--they do sell wonderfully pre-sliced Velvetta that works well for grilled cheese and chesse tortillas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well, you DO have a very particular palette, whereas I do not. ;o)

    Yeah, I've seen those pre-sliced slices, and not only are they more expensive, but they just don't provide enough cheese in one slice for me. Hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to make pigs in blankets a couple of weeks ago and realized we didn't have any crescent rolls. So I sliced the dogs as usual and stuffed them with cheese and nuked them.

    I think the creature ate three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what it is with kids and hot dogs, but they do get along so well, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I came upon your blog and this post and now soooo want one of these hotdog sandwiches! I think you are evil! ** Just kidding ** I make a 'diet' version of this all the time :) It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete