Saturday, September 20, 2008

5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

We have our first new Foo Fan recipe submission! Thank you to Michelle for passing along this little dandy of a treat. I couldn't resist trying it. Who doesn't have five minutes to invest for some chocolate cake love? Nom nom nom...



5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 Tbsp. flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. baking cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
3 Tbsp. chocolate chips(optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add egg, and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil. Mix well. Add chocolate chips (if desired) and vanilla extract. Mix well! [Is your fork getting tired yet?]

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. [Here's a site that will convert wattage for your oven.] The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!



Allow to cool a little (the mug WILL be hot), and tip out onto a plate if you like. Then EAT!

Michelle says, "This can serve two if you want to feel slightly more virtuous."

Suggested Experimentations:
* Add more than the necessary chocolate chips
* Swirl in couple Tbsp. raspberry preserves
* Add coconut
* Swirl in chocolate syrup (like for milk)
* Add nuts

For any of these additions, you could simply sprinkle/pour them on top, and they will sink in as the cake bakes.

The Taste Test: This is most definitely a good one if you're in serious need of chocolate fix. I would highly recommend not skimping out on the chocolate chips--in fact, be generous! I'm going to try putting in some raspberry preserves someday in the future. It was a lot of fun to make. Thanks, Michelle!

9 comments:

  1. Great job, Mangy! I loved the video. :D I can almost smell it baking. *mouth waters* I love how cute it looks in the little mug. Unfortunately, I can't have any until this next phase of the diet is over. Oh, how I live for my free weekends!

    You know, with a name like "FooBlog" you need to have a theme song to go with it. Perhaps something by The Foo Fighters? Or maybe "Kung Foo Fighting"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The video was entirely too much fun to make. Almost as much fun as making the cake. ;o)

    Yeah, I was thinking about that: the Foo Fighters! And you can't go wrong with Kung Fu Fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try some time soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^_^ This recipe rocks! It's awesome...quick...easy...tasty... -huggles it-

    I was feeling all "blah" today, and couldn't resist :oops: so I made it, since everything else would have taken much too much trouble to make. And it's true that chocolate fixes things...

    Heh, I made instant chocolate pudding while it was cooking, and when it was done, I turned out the cake into a bowl and dumped the pudding on it... :oops:

    Tasty. And awesome. Thanks for the recipe! :P -sings recipe's praises until someone throws an old shoe at me to get me to be quiet-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo! I like the idea of chocolate pudding with it. Great experimentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious and I like the level of difficulty: EASY. I love easy and delicious recipes now that I have less time with two kids. Look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea! Good to see you. I think I know who you are. You have two now? Awesomeness! Thanks for stopping by; come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks seriously yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aurora: You're welcome. This looks like it's a popular one. (Who wouldn't like fresh chocolate cake in 5 minutes?) Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete